FAQ Cover


Sweet.. we have the answer.

CGT, Subdivisions and Property Development – You Mean I Might Pay Tax ?

CGT, subdivisions and property development The income tax treatment of property development can be complex. Broadly, there are three possible tax consequences that could apply on the sale of a development: Where the developer is carrying on the development in the ordinary course of their business, the property will be treated as trading stock and […]

Single Touch Payroll

Single Touch Payroll – Extension of STP

From 1 July 2019, single touch payroll – the direct reporting of salary and wages, PAYG withholding and superannuation contribution information to the ATO – will apply to all employers. What employers need to report will also be extended to include certain salary sacrificed amounts. Employers with 20 or more employees have been required to […]

Prepaid Rental Property Expenses | Melbourne Accountant

Investment Property Accountant in Melbourne specialising in those with investment properties and in the property development game. Question Can an individual claim rental property expenses paid in advance (by no more than 12 months in advance) for the year ended 30 June 2019 for items such as council rates, land tax, insurance even if there is […]

Property Tax Specialists Melbourne | Main Residence – Absence Rule

Property Tax Solutions a firm of Property Tax Specialists Melbourne sometimes get asked about the main residence absence provisions (sometimes known as the six (6) year rule and how it applies to a property that was your principal of residence BUT part of the property was used as a place of business. You might be […]

Security for Investment Loan and Deductibility of Interest

Security for an investment loan does not determine Deductibility of Interest.  What makes interest deductible ? Some people get confused about the deductibility of interest – which is understandable. The security for a loan does not change the deductibility of interest for that loan. If I use my main residence as security and set up […]

Borrowing Costs Investment Properties

Borrowing Expenses – Investment Properties

You can claim borrowing expenses greater than $100 over a five-year period or over the life of the loan whichever is the least.  You can claim all the following borrowing costs stamp duty charged on mortgage (note this is not the stamp duty on purchase of the property) loan establishment fees title search fees charged […]

6 Year Main Residence (PPOR) Absence Rule

Section 118-145 of the Income Tax Assessment Act 1997 allows a taxpayer to keep treating their principal place of residence as their main residence while absent for up to 6 years if the property is being rented out.  The extension is even longer if the property is not rented. The taxpayer could rent, negative gear, […]


Can a Non Resident Make a Contribution to Super and Claim a Deduction ?

Some non residents have positive rental income and want to make a contribution to superannuation and claim a deduction to minimise their overall tax position. Where the non resident provides a valid notice of intent to claim the deduction to the Fund and the Fund acknowledges receipt of this notice, the deduction is not more […]


Accountants specializing in small to medium business owners focusing on property developers and property investors